What to say when greeted "Eid Mubarak"

I knew that Friday is Eid Al Fitr and that people in Dubai would usually greet each other with "Eid Mubarak" instead of the usual greetings.

My Pakistani friend was teaching me over the phone how to respond but, having a very poor memory, I easily forgets. The proper response would be "Alayna Wa Alaykoom" which loosely translate to "for me and for you as well" since "Eid Mubarak" means "happy Eid" it is like saying "Happy Eid to you too".

Some basic greetings that come in handy are the following:
• Ahlan Wasahlan - Welcome
• Marahaba - Hi
• Kaif Halak - How are you? (boy)
• Kaif Halek - How are you? (girl)
• Kaif Kan Youmak El-Youm - How was your day today?
• Tfadal - Come in.

It is ok for non-Muslims to say "Eid Mubarak" to Muslims. Mubarak, like Saeed, means happy. It comes from the Arabic word "Mabrook" which means "Congratulations".

No comments