Things to Know When Going to Church in Dubai

It was not my first time to attend the mass at St. Marys. I have gone several times with my sisters, but usually we came late and the mass has already started when we arrive. I never had the chance to take communion.

One time, I went with an office colleague, Eli, and her husband, Bijoy. Eli is one of my colleague at work. She's from Visayas and she is married to Bijoy, an Indian whom she fondly calls Bitoy.

We were early and had time to eat at the canteen of the church before the start of the mass. When we went inside the church we couldn't sit together because the church was jam packed. The mass was great. The priest had a sense of humor and he is very good during a sermon.

Then the communion started.

I was not very observant that time. I was a little puzzled why nobody was standing up to take communion. So I took my back pack and stood up and went to the queue at the middle aisle of the church. Everybody stared at me, as I approached the queue, I noticed that the people taking communion was taking turns. The first row went first, then the second row! I was at the third to the last row!

The usherer, an Indian, was whispering to me uncomprehensively. I realized my mistake but I just play dumb and went to the queue and had my communion. I didn't go back to my seat. After the communion I went out and lighted several candles and went home laughing at myself.

No comments